Saturday 20 January 2007

Are We Really A Group Of Fansites For A Game?

Yeah so with the carry on over Article X or whatever it was called here still fresh off of peoples lips around the community I called help but ask the question are we really just a group of lads passionate about Football Manager? A Game?

Sometimes when having a wander around the scene- or rather seeing what Robs been up to at the community Blog- I think to myself does it really matter who is slagging off people over the in-ter-net? After all its only a small part of our lives this scene business. You would think it was a huge political movement or the official community of websites of the world wide web.

The scene is such a big part of the scene that the scene is now about the scene. Not fm. I can't remember who it was who said on throw-in that fm articles suck, or something along those lines. and that scene articles are the only thing worth reading. And I have to agree with him. I rarely find myself reading an article about the actual game itself, and if I do its just a referral to help me with something. Scene articles are more interesting if I am completely honest. If we compare 2 articles of the same age, so to speak, one being about football manager, the other the community. We will always find that the scene article will get more coverage and more general interest than the average how to win the league with £200,000 guide.

Since its the talk of the moment lets use the Site X article as our example of the scene piece. Its had 40 comments so far. Its now 18.19pm on Saturday 20th January 2007. And we will take a personal favourite that was released on the same day in this Uruguay Guide. I happened to be managing Panerol at the time of this release so I found this very helpful. Here it is. This article has had 1 tiny little comment since then, now 18.21, and its only a link from Rob to the community digest. Not a word of thanks from readers or nice job buddy.

Both articles were published the same day. I know that the Site X article has had more publicity due to a handful of scene sites passing comments on it and Pitchside only gets linkage from the portal. But it just goes to prove that people are more interested in the politics of the community surrounding the game than the actual game itself.

It is rather said that instead the community is talking about a cheap and petty slagging match between a bitter scene and the management of a website. At the end of the day we are here to enjoy each others company and advice about football manager. A game. The scene metaphorically speaking should be filled with lads sharing advice and chatter about what’s the best tactic to dominate the international scene. Instead we are told to stop spamming and have to read post after post of O RLY owls and over hormonal teenagers “wubbing” each other up in a gay manner.

The "proper" side of the scene that is actually focused on fm is rarely spoken about on the big scale. Its often associated with n00bs and a "scene career" starts off talking about footy manager but then moves onto scene relations and politics. It does happen. Its a very common trend I have found. Unless you fall into the habit of making graphics and skins you move on from fm and get bored and find yourself posting only in the "spam" forum of sites and only discussing scene affairs.

So why do we feel the need to so heavily discuss the scene? You could ask me why I wrote this, mainly because I am bored and there isn’t anything on tele and I need to save my money for tomorrow so I am staying in doing nothing, and its my Blog, I can do what I want. The events of the last few days prove that we are no longer a few sites who follow fm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention (re the Uruguay guide). I agree with a lot of what you say in the article and it's part of the reason that I've pretty much backed away from the Forums and Scene in general - too much petty bitching and not enough helping/sharing in terms of FM (the reason the majority of us signed up to the sites in the first place).

Any chance you could add me to your links section?

Spike said...

Yeah, I thought It was already in the links, I'll add it now :]

Thanks for the comment

Anonymous said...

Thanks (y)

Anonymous said...

Good words.